Why should we link our YouTube video to an external website? Simple, it is a great way to provide the creator of the video a way to link to their other related websites directly from their videos. Do you want to redirect visitors from your YouTube video to an external website? Of course, if you don’t want to lose viewers after they have finished watching, then why bother creating a video? Why have your video go to waste when your viewers can view other websites that pertain to the videos you just watched? All you need to do is add “associated website annotations” to your video. These are links that you can add to any YouTube video you’ve uploaded. Here are the steps to get started…
- First make sure that you have YouTube partner* status.
- Login into your YouTube account
- Go to video manager
- Channel settings; this is where you will see if you’re a YouTube partner. (This is where you see if you have been verified.)
- Now to verify your account
- Switched to a different account which hasn’t been verified and click verify
- Check “call me with an automated voice message”
- Enter your phone number
- Click “submit”
- Add your website as an associate website in webmaster tools. (This confirms that you own the site before you link to it in your YouTube account).
- Login to webmaster tools
- Click “add a site” then put in your URL
- Click continue then follow the steps that’s shown on the page
- Go to advanced settings and scroll down to associated website and enter the URL that you added to webmaster tools. After you’ve done that you’ll see the success sign.
- If this is the first time you’re using external annotations, at the top of the menu there will be a banner that says “Enable your account for external annotation links.”
- Click the Enable button and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Add external website annotations to your video
- Go to your video manager
- Select one of the videos you want to put annotations
- Click drop down box select annotations (click “add annotation” in this case we’ll do a note then add your text “click here for more info”)
- The annotation (text) is now shown. You may have to stretch the text box out then click the link.
- Add a video or any on the list provided, but select “associated website”. Add the website URL that is to be linked to.
- Click “publish”
- Make sure that this works, by going back to your video manager
- Click on the video
- Video should go directly to your particular blog post (external website).
*YouTube partner status helps the video stream seamlessly and to grow with the collective YouTube audience; this a simple process. Please see below for directions.
Can you tell me if it’s possible to create more than one verified website? YouTube only allows one website per channel, however watch this video to redirect viewers to other pages on your website
How to Verify YouTube Channel
- Login to your YouTube account
- Go to YouTube setting, (Located top right)
- Go to Channel Settings
- Click on Features
- Under account status, locate “Verify tab”
- Click verify
- You will now be redirected to account verification step 1
- Choose verification method (i.e. voice call or sms) and add your phone number
- Click submit
- Click verify once you receive code
Once you are verified, you are now a YouTube partner. You are now able to upload unlimited length YouTube videos.
YouTube External Links In Annotations